What I Miss the Most

It's another rainy day in Tampa Florida. It reminds me a lot of winters in Stuttgart!


I remember specifically the winter of 2017, I had just finished gym class at co-op. I walked from the church building, all the way to the gate at the front of the base in shorts. It wasn't that long of a walk, but it was freezing! It was a mix between rain and snow, it was probably in the 40s, but I could have cared less because I was walking with some friends. My dad picked me up in his BMW and we'd drive home talking about what happened throughout the day, and then he would proceed to tell me that I really needed to buy a pair of sweatpants!

Those kind of nights are going to be the ones I miss the most. The kind of nights where its so cold that you decide just to snuggle up in a blanket and watch a movie. I'll miss the winter nights and the early mornings when I'd look outside my window hoping that their would be snow on the ground.

But, along with the snow, there are a hundred more things about Stuttgart that I'll miss. I won't list all of them, but here's a few.

I miss pretzels and the smell of German bakeries in the morning. I miss Mezomix (a type of soda that you can only find in Europe). And I miss walks with Thor through the fields by our house.

I really miss driving on base to go to church on Sunday mornings. I can vividly remember driving by the PX on the way to the chapel. And I remember our designated row behind our friends in the chapel building. Whenever we'd get to church the first thing us kids would do is make sure that we got our seats so that we could talk to our friends before and after service.

I'll miss our little town, and all the elderly people that you'd see getting their groceries in the morning. I'll always remember driving to the German grocery store in out little town, and knowing that my mom was going to make me order at the meat counter in German. Something that I didn't mind doing, until one day I got made fun of because I pronounced something wrong.
It was the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me! It made it worse because Alisa was right next to me dying of laughter!!! That is one thing that she'll never let me forget about!

I miss the parks. The flowers. The people. The history. And the language that I spent so much time trying to learn! (The one thing I won't miss is the traffic) :)

Germany in of itself is one of the most beautiful, most welcoming, and most amazing places you'll ever see. I miss it so much. But I am looking forward to the day that I'll be able to go back! (Hopefully not too long for now)

Well... Thanks for reading my stroll down memory lane. I hope that I've inspired you to do some traveling!

Until next time, your friend,
Savannah


Comments

Popular Posts