What the Bible Says About: Fear


Hey guys!!
So, I decided to start a series ( not an every week series, more like a 'whenever I feel like adding to it' series) called "What the Bible Says About..." and for my first one, I want us to dive a little bit into Fear!

These posts are really just going to be a bunch of scripture. So you might want to get out a pen and a piece of paper because all of these are great to have around you. In your room, in your car, on a mirror, and most importantly... in your heart!

Fear is a word that I've heard a LOT of recently, fear of losing a job, fear of sickness, fear of an uncertain future... all things that are valid and important. And in no way am I a "Fear Expert" nor a Bible scholar, but I've faced a lot of scary things in my seventeen years of living and I've had lots of bible verses come to mind when thinking about them.

But first, let's define fear. Dictionary.com defines fear as this:

"a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid"


First off, emotions... emotions are powerful. They can lead us to say things we never thought we'd say, to do things that we never thought we'd do, and to think things that we might not normally think of. One thing the world frequently says is this "Follow Your Heart!" You've probably heard it in every single Disney movie, and don't get me wrong I'm a sucker for Disney movies, but the Bible says this in Jeremiah 17:9:

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"

So first when looking at Fear, fear stems from our emotions and heart reflecting on the things going on around us. So how do we combat these fears? Well...

1. We can know that Fears aren't from God. They come from the world.

John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Psalms 34:4
"I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears."

Isaiah 41:10
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."


2. God gives us peace when we ask for it! It baffles me at how we can just ask God for peace, and he gives it to us! He is a God of peace, not a God of chaos.

John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Matthew 11:28
"Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Philippians 4:6-7
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


3. It's ok to be scared, we're human and it's going to happen. But to dwell on that fear is when we can start to lose hold of the courage that God has called us to have. When God created you, he didn't give you a spirit of fear or anxiety. He gave you a spirit of courage!

Joshua 1:9
"This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

2 Timothy 1:7
..."For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

Psalm 118:6
"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"


Well guys, Fear. Fear isn't of God. Fear is of this world, it can paralyze us, take over our thought life, but I'm praying that every single one of you who reads this can be 100% FREE of fear.
I'm praying that you can realize that God's power and love for us is so much greater, bigger, stronger, more powerful, and more amazing than anything in our world!

If you guys want me to pray more specifically for you, please let me know! Y'all mean a lot to me!

Until next time, Savannah

Comments

Popular Posts