"Am I Being Annoying?" ~ Friendship Advice


Hey Everybody!!! I'm for sure getting a head start on my goal of one blog post a month, and I'm so excited for this next post! A little while back I had a few friends send in some relationship/friendship advice questions for me to answer... I never got to it, but I thought that since I had some free time that I'd answer them here!

So lets just dive right in:

Q - How do you know that they're going to be a loyal friend?"

A - Well honestly that's really hard one. Sometimes even the best of friends lose touch over the years or have a disagreement here and there. But, I think that the best way to know that they'll always be your friend is to see if they're truly care about you by: 

. Listening to you, they'll always be willing to hear you out if you have a disagreement.

. Being able to keep things between you two if they ask. Its a huge deal for me to know that I have friend that will keeps things just between us if I ask. (Of course unless its a bad situation that a godly adult needs to be a part of.)

. They encourage you and build you up! Yes, I knew that (guys especially) like to joke around and make fun of each other, I've done it before too, but also knowing what your friend sometimes struggles with and being able to be aware of when jokes need to not be said is a real sign of wisdom and loyalty.

Q - Are you and your sister close?

A - YES!!! I have two younger sisters and I'm BEYOND close with them! 

I honestly think that part of it is that me and Alisa (shes 14) and I have always shared a room, so we know each others buttons, but we also talk to each other about EVERYTHING! If Alisa wrote a book on me someday I'd be worried! But when it comes to sisters, we can get snappy with each other sometimes, but also we have more in common then anyone else. Part of it is moving around so much has really helped us to be thankful that we always have a built in friend! And its been fun as we've gotten older and more independent, because that  gives us lots of times for Starbucks and thrifting dates!

Q - How do you handle a friend who has different beliefs then you?

A - This is one that I for sure have lots of experience with, especially with all of the crazy politics and social issues of 2020. To be completely honest I've lost friends over political differences, I've even had friends quit talking to me because I posted something that I really believed in... but, with that being said, a true friend is going to be able to give grace to you (while this goes both ways) and have hard conversations with the stipulation that its okay to "agree to disagree." And although there are times that I've strayed away from touchy subjects, when you and your friend are close enough that you can share everything, having tough conversations can really bring you both closer together and give a new found respect for that person in the long run. Just knowing that you wont always agree, but are choosing to love them the same before and after those conversations will be a huge deal.

Q -  How can you tell if you're being annoying or too overbearing?

A - For me, its normally over text message that I notice it the most. If someone is being really short with you, they don't really text like they normally do, or they only reply with one emoji (sounds beyond shallow, but that's what I've done before) then I'd just give them a little space. Wait for them to start the conversation again! And the same goes for in person too, if they're being kind of passive aggressive, short, or just abrasive, it might not even be about you, but I'd just give them a little extra space to cool off! Sometimes people are just having a really rough day and the second that you say ANYTHING it makes them mad! So just give people GRACE & SPACE!

Q - What is the best relationship advice you've been given?

1. Don't marry someone you can live with, marry someone you can't live without!

2. (This one is more for the guys) "When it comes to dating, don't worry about your muscles, worry about your motives." ~ Delaney Cleary 

That's a better way to sweep someone off their feet, to have godly motive and be kind, then have a great set of abs... just saying :)

3. "Arguments can change peoples minds, but the gospel can change peoples hearts!" ~ Nate Richie


Well guys, that is it for this post! I hope that something stood out to you, and that you and your friendships continue to grow in this new year! Thank you so much for hanging out with me and until next time...

Your Friend, Sav




Comments

Popular Posts